How the plastic surgery fiasco unfolded

A plastic surgeon who botched a plastic surgery operation to repair his damaged lip had to pay $5 million to a woman who had been his patient. 

The case was one of the worst examples of botched plastic surgeries in Australia since a new Government regulation was introduced in March.

The case involves Dr Peter Trewavas, who performed the operation on Sophie McBride, who had a hole in her lip and needed it repaired.

In April 2014, the woman’s husband, Paul, told the ABC that Dr Trewas was his wife’s doctor and his operation was “necessary” to save her life.

Paul had undergone plastic surgery in the US, and had been treated at the same doctor’s office in Australia.

However, the ABC has confirmed that Dr McBride was not treated by Dr Trowavas when she had her lip repaired in the same office in April 2014.

“We have seen Dr Tropavas at the clinic at least 10 times, on three separate occasions,” Ms McBride’s barrister, Jason Wirrall, said.

Dr Tropas did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

On one occasion, Dr Trowsavas came in for an appointment and had to be escorted to the back room.

But the woman did not want to be dragged to the office and did not press charges.

A second time Dr Treesavas arrived and asked to be left alone, but Ms McBRIDE was upset.

She said the doctor took a photograph of her lip that she was “shocked” about, and then put it on his phone.

He then asked her to leave and said, “You are not the only one who wants to know what I’m doing here.”

She told the court the photos showed “my lip was being removed”.

“He then proceeded to put a sheet over my lip to make sure it would not leak,” Ms Wirrhall said.

“He asked me if I wanted to see the photographs, and I said, ‘Yes, please’.”

The woman said Dr Topsavas said he did not care about the consequences.

During his trial, the prosecution argued that Dr Farrow had not made an informed decision, that the patient was not informed, and that there was insufficient evidence of harm.

Both sides argued that the trial should proceed.

Judge Peter O’Sullivan adjourned the case until January 3, when a jury would decide whether to award damages.

It is not known whether Ms McBrides will receive the $5m payment, or whether Dr Triesavas will get any money.

Topics:government-and-politics,health,health-policy,accidents,law-crime-and-(procedural),law-enforcement,courts-and_trials,law—ethics,religion-and/or-belief,australia,sophie-mccabe,bryden-3050,sydney-2000,nsw,arwin-0800,vicsource ABC News (AU)